You should never feed your dog or cat chocolate as it can cause serious medical complications and even death.
Why is chocolate toxic to cats and dogs?
Chocolate is made from the cocoa bean, which is a natural source of theobromine. Different types of chocolates contain different amounts of theobromine – This natural source is digested by dogs and cats a lot slower than humans and this slow process leads to poisoning which can kill your much loved pet.
Dark chocolate contains up to 10 times more of this substance than milk chocolate which means dark chocolate is a lot more toxic than milk chocolate.
Dogs are more likely to eat sweets than cats because cats are unable to taste sweetness, that said you just never know what your pet is going to do next so it’s always a good idea to hide your sweets, chocolates and biscuits!
Chocolate poison symptoms:
Vomiting and Diarrhea
Increased body temperature
Increased reflex responses
Muscle rigidity and rapid breathing
Your pet can also suffer from an:
If you suspect that your pet has eaten any chocolate call your vet immediately for assessment and appropriate treatment.